Work at Saltwater
How to Apply
North Pacific Groundfish
Alaska Shellfish (Crab)
West Coast Groundfish
Links for Observers
Southeast Atlantic Fisheries
Forward to a friend
Ready to apply?
Want to know more?
Responsibilities and Duties:
• All aspects of overall performance on the contract
• Managing Observer Coordinators and Observers
• Communicating with NMFS staff
• Ensuring coverage goals are met
• Fisheries logistics
• Acting as primary contact in case of emergency
• Liaising with the fishing fleet
• Ensuring data quality
• Maintaining high observer morale
• Controlling all administrative aspects of observer projects
• Reporting potential violations and safety concerns to NMFS
• Submission and approval of contract deliverables
• Contractor performance and all contract issues relating to the program
• Monitoring contract performance to meet NMFS’ standards
• Ensuring observer compliance with NMFS’ and Saltwater’s standards of conduct and protocols
Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
• Experience in the scientific environment with emphasis on commercial fisheries management and observer deployments. Must have demonstrated work experience.
• Personnel management. Must be demonstrated work experience.
• Experience as a program manager.
• A Bachelor of Science degree or higher in fisheries, Natural Science, Biology, etc.
The PM must have strong people skills, excellent communication skills, detail-oriented organizational skills, computer skills (Excel, Word, database, and internet use), and be able to multi-task in a fluid environment.
Salary range is dependent on the program, experience and solicitation.
To notify us of your interest, please send your resume and a cover letter by November 25, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please include your relevant skills and experience and why you think you would be great at this job. We will honor all requests for application confidentiality.
Alaska (North Pacific) Groundfish Observer Program Manager – Seattle, WA
We are looking for a Program Manager(PM) who can handle complicated day-to-day logistics while keeping an eye on the big picture. You must be able to maintain focus, even when being interrupted by a myriad of distractions, and reprioritize tasks at a moment’s notice. You need to be someone who can handle the “heat in the kitchen” and still maintain a calm demeanor with clients and employees. You must be a critical thinker, dedicated to getting your work completed, have excellent communication skills and be able to grasp basic budget concepts. You should be someone who gains satisfaction from working with people on a daily basis, and be fun to work with. If this sounds like you, and this opportunity fits with your professional goals, we may have a job for you.
The following description is about the program for which we are recruiting:
Saltwater will be submitting a proposal for a five-year contract to provide observers for the 2019 Alaska Groundfish Observer Program Partial Coverage Contract. We anticipate that the solicitation will be released in November 2018 and due approximately 30 days later. Work would likely start mid-2019, if Saltwater is the successful bidder.
Meeting coverage requirements and collecting high-quality data are the measures of success for the Alaska Observer Program. While these are critical to implementing a successful observer program, it is also very important that the program manager possess the people skills and inclination to, diplomatically, solve the many people problems that invariably come up when working in a public program. The challenges are obvious, but the personal satisfaction of being a part of a successful observer program is very rewarding, albeit less obvious.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saltwater Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Our jobs are open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law, military and veteran status, genetic makeup, or any other legally protected status.
Saltwater Inc. • 733 N Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99501 • Phone (907) 276-3241 • Toll-Free (800) 770-3241