Work at Saltwater
How to Apply
North Pacific Groundfish
Alaska Shellfish (Crab)
West Coast Groundfish
Links for Observers
Southeast Atlantic Fisheries
Want to know more?
• Manage staff calendar (including tracking of part-time staff hours).
• Manage all incoming and outgoing mail.
• Act as first contact point for visitors to the office or callers who need immediate assistance.
• Manage filing systems (electronic and paper).
• Manage inventories of supplies and equipment including forward planning for projects.
• Manage office facilities including maintenance, equipment, supplies, and layout, and including employee apartments.
• Coordinate project travel.
• Work on special projects as assigned.
• Strong work ethic
• Ability to work independently
• Organizational skills and the ability to get things done
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Interpersonal skills to inspire a professional and collegial environment
• Ability to operate Mac-based computer systems and MS Office programs
• IT experience would be a bonus
Skills, Experience and Education Requirements:
• Shall abide by and enforce all statutory, safety, and operational standards for ships and seamen.
• Shall possess a positive and calm demeanor to include the ability to accept frustrating and trying situations beyond his control and behave in an amicable fashion with all embarked personnel.
• In case of an emergency or urgency, the contractor shall be required to obey the lawful orders of the OIC or the JOIC in such situations as fire, flooding, collision, man overboard, or abandon ship, while underway, anchored, or alongside.
• Shall possess the physical fitness and stamina necessary for performing duties entailed. The incumbent will be expected to work in an environment of moderate risk, under various weather conditions, and frequently work long hours (beyond traditional 8-hour day).
• Shall successfully pass a drug test and background check
• Strongly recommended but not required that the contractor possess a US Merchant Mariner document/credential.
• Due to the small size, close living quarters, and long days aboard the 72’ Research The vessel, the contractor must have a positive and calm demeanor, possess the ability to accept frustrating and trying situations beyond his control, and behave in an amicable fashion with all personnel embarked aboard the Research Vessel.
• A current Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED must exist and be renewed as necessary.
• Physical Effort:
• Moderate to substantial effort will be required of the contractor while operating controls and handling gear.
• Coordination is necessary to operate controls while safely maneuvering instruments over the side of the vessel
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saltwater Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Our jobs are open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law, military and veteran status, genetic makeup, or any other legally protected status.
Deckhand Assistant, R2
Saltwater Inc. is bidding on a contract to provide a myriad of jobs. We are looking for a person to fill a part-time Deckhand Assistant position starting in spring 2020. Work will be conducted on a vessel homeported in Woods Hole, MA and approximately 90 days annually at sea are expected.
• Assist in deploying and retrieving sampling gear. Sampling gear includes nets, trawls, grabs, dredges, probes, CTDs, or other instruments used to accomplish scientific investigations.
• Assist with meal preparation and routine housekeeping chores including cleaning interior decks and head, and other duties.
• ssist in the loading and unloading of ship’s stores, supplies, and scientific gear.
• Assist with docking exercises and line handling.
• Conduct underway lookout and anchor watches as requested by the OIC.
• Assist OIC, JOIC, and Fisherman/Deckhand in performance of maintenance and repair of the vessel as requested.
• Safe deployment and retrieval of sampling gear.
• Repair of trawl gear and hydraulic equipment as necessary when underway.
• Safely and efficiently manage deck operations while underway.
• Effectively communicate and work as a team member while underway.
How to Apply:
To help us understand why you are a good fit for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter describing your past work and how you are qualified for this job to: email@example.com.
When you apply, you must indicate which job you are applying for otherwise your resume will be discarded. If you do not meet the required skills and experience, please do not apply.
Forward to a friend
Saltwater Inc. • 733 N Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99501 • Phone (907) 276-3241 • Toll-Free (800) 770-3241