Work at Saltwater
How to Apply
North Pacific Groundfish
Alaska Shellfish (Crab)
West Coast Groundfish
Links for Observers
Southeast Atlantic Fisheries
Want to know more?
• Manage staff calendar (including tracking of part-time staff hours).
• Manage all incoming and outgoing mail.
• Act as first contact point for visitors to the office or callers who need immediate assistance.
• Manage filing systems (electronic and paper).
• Manage inventories of supplies and equipment including forward planning for projects.
• Manage office facilities including maintenance, equipment, supplies, and layout, and including employee apartments.
• Coordinate project travel.
• Work on special projects as assigned.
• Strong work ethic
• Ability to work independently
• Organizational skills and the ability to get things done
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Interpersonal skills to inspire a professional and collegial environment
• Ability to operate Mac-based computer systems and MS Office programs
• IT experience would be a bonus
Want to know more?
Skills & Experience Required:
• B.S. or higher in one of the natural sciences (biology, fisheries, natural resources, wildlife biology, limnology, etc.) or B.S. or higher in Computer Science, or 4+ years relevant experience.
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude/skills.
• Ability to develop practical solutions to problems.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent people and communication skills.
• Proficient with computer technologies.
• Previous experience as a fisheries observer.
• Installation experience (CCTV, GIS, computer networks, home security systems).
• Ability to use software such as Excel, Word, ArcGIS, Milestone or other VMS.
• Understanding of basic electricity (low voltage) and electronics.
Electronic Monitoring (EM) Technician: Florida
The ultimate goal of the EM technician is to provide an accurate, reliable, unobtrusive monitoring system and give vessels the support they need to integrate this technology into their fishing operation as seamlessly as possible.
EM Installs and Servicing: Electronic Monitoring (EM) Technicians are involved with all aspects of the installation and upkeep of Saltwater’s EM system on commercial fishing vessels. Our primary duty is the preparation, installation, (including configuration), and servicing of the physical components of the EM system. EM techs provide custom installations and individualized technical support to each vessel involved in the EM program. Extensive travel on short notice is often required to keep up with the erratic schedules of commercial fishing fleets.
Data Review: EM techs also review a portion of the data that Saltwater's EM system produces. Depending on the fishery, this could be as simple as ensuring correct system functionality or as complex as producing full observer style data reports on fishing effort, location, and species composition. As part of this review, it is the technician's duty to provide useful feedback to the software developers in an effort to make electronic monitoring as accurate and efficient as possible.
About Saltwater Inc.:
Saltwater¹s mission is to provide the information that makes vibrant fisheries and healthy oceans possible. We are a small company based in Anchorage, AK with 25 years’ experience gathering fisheries data. We are an industry leader in the design and implementation of fishery and marine mammal observer programs — and an innovator in the use of new technologies and electronic monitoring (EM) for data collection. We employ over 200 marine biologists who work onboard fishing vessels in Alaska, Hawaii and the West Coast, and over 100 vessels fishing from the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico and Alaska carry our EM systems.
Contact: If you would like to apply, please submit the required information: resume, cover letter, at least 3 professional references (name, email address and phone number) to email@example.com
Forward to a friend
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saltwater Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Our jobs are open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law, military and veteran status, genetic makeup, or any other legally protected status.
Ready to apply?
Saltwater Inc. • 733 N Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99501 • Phone (907) 276-3241 • Toll-Free (800) 770-3241